YouTube Channel

Thursday, September 1, 2011

DIY T-Shirt Screen Print (HOW-TO) - 1st Time Dad Hospital Survival Bag Gift

I spent so much time and energy on giving my sister-in-law, Tiffany sunch a great shower that I ran out of time and wasn't able to do a couple of things....

1. my gifts, UGH!  Such a big deal, right, I mean who doesn't get the mom-to-be a gift?  I know... but since most of my time went into decor and other ideas, my "projects" were put on the back burner.  (more on these projects in a follow up post)

AND

2. a special gift for my brother, I had this idea that I wanted to put together a "1st Time Daddy Gift".  I wanted it special but something he would like and maybe even use.  BUT....again I was all into decor and other ideas, that this "project" was placed on the back burner as well.

The week after the baby shower I spent it finishing both of these things.  But first I thought I would talk about and show you the gift I made for my brother.  I put together a hospital survival bag, I put his favorite snacks, some energy drinks and a bunch of  "It's A Boy" suckers to pass out at the hospital.  I passed on the cigars, lol...he would like those but the suckers I figured would be better received by all.

I also made him a shirt, not this is just not any shirt, this is the shirt that he will wear when Nathan is born....don't worry Tiffany was all on board and assured me he would wear it.  The front of the shirt says "This is what a really awesome dad looks like" then on the back I will bring a stamp pad so that we can stamp Nathan's footprints on the back and write in his day and time of birth, his weight and his length, this way is turns into a really great keepsake.

Now I was going to put this all in canvas bag and call it a day but then I thought, would he really carry this into the hospital and I knew the answer was no.  His birthday was about to come up and I knew we would be meeting for dinner so I ended up getting him a Dallas Cowboys duffle bag.  This way it will serve as the "survival" bag and he can use it later on.  He loved it!

We ended up meeting for his birthday dinner and I was able to give him the gift, it turns out this was a really great idea and he really liked it all.  Yay!

Here are a few shots of the bag and my brother, if you scroll down after you will see the DIY steps I took to make his shirt.  It turned out great, I love how it has a slight faded almost vintage tee look. 




So to make the shirt you need the following:

1. Fabric Paint
2. Freezer Paper
3. an Iron
4. Sponges
5. Cardboard
6. Cricut or another way to cut you design


I started off by cuting the sheets of Renoylds Freezer Paper to fit into my cricut, I designed the words on there and then cut them into the paper. 


I then ironed on the Freezer Paper, yes, that is it, no special glue, no majic....and it sticks!


I used my sponges to paint on the fabric paint.  The cardboard as you can see from the picture above it helps to keep the paint from soaking through to the back of the shirt. 


After I painted it, I let it dry for about 15minutes and before it was fully dry I peeled off the freezer paper, then I let it sit over night and dry completely.

An here is the finished shirt...pretty neat, huh?  You can make just about any design with this, it's so easy and cheap!




No comments: